Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Royal Guards Forum Index -> General Raid Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
[Ace]
Officer
Captain

re: Deathbringer Saurfang

Ok so we cleared 3 bosses in ICC last night - good job all!

We had to call it after 2 resets on Deathbringer Saurfang (Boss 4). It was late, poeple were getting tired etc.

We had him to 40% the second time but lost 2 healers so forced a reset. Im sure we could have had him on 3rd try but alas was not to be.

I just read a nice simple tactic for this.

Instead of kiting the adds.. tanks hold them with AoE. HP Healed from adds is very small so dps can burn through it. Kill adds asap (should be 5 seconds or less each) but tanks hold (no kiting, slowing dps down). All stay at your range check. HP Returned from tanks not switching is huge but me and plex had this handled no problem. I reckon we can burn him down very fast with this method.

Lieutenant Colonel

i take back my last post, now im gutted. gz all

Don't worry Fozzy - it was a nice run but we wiped quite a bit learning to put the tactics in place. Next time we will blitz through the 1st 3 bosses with you Happy

I won't be available next Saturday as im away on business.. but I will be available Sunday. As this is the most popular day in the vote would be good to move it to this night.. but if not I wish you all good luck Happy

who ever thought up that tactic is a loony Ace, getting tanks to aoe the beasts is epic fail, as they will do damage straight away and all damage they do gets added to his blood power, what ever site said that never go there again. just make sure all ranged are targetting them straight away and you wont have any trouble, it may well be that the build of the raid is melee heavy which it seems to me, may have to switch 1 melee for 1 ranged
[Ace]
Officer
Captain

It was the guys on Maintankadin - A 100% Trustworthy site..

It's my bible site, Malf will agree its very good.

Here is the link

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=40&t=27092&rb_v=viewtopic

Quote:
Kiting the adds isn't as big of a deal on 10 man, we tanked the adds and had all dps blow them up as fast as they could. The key is to make sure that you spread your ranged and healers out.

Once we figured out to spread out, we killed him no problem with tanking the adds, we only had 2 marks at the end so we got the achievement.

The DPS in my guild is nothing amazing so if everyone in your group is having a really hard time kiting the adds, just try tanking them to get a kill. We used 2 tanks so it was really easy to grab the adds, just had the tank that didnt have Saurfang do it.

Many comments suggesting this works for other people also.. so.. Happy

clearly is being done by groups with dps issues, or not the required ranged dps for the fightfrom their ranged ( or peeps incapable of using their cc abilities), never seen any decent group do this tactic

but hey ho, what ever works for ya i guess
SJP1872
Raider
Captain

ill have a look at maintankadin to see the comments of respected posters. This strat to me seems wild. the more damage the blood beasts do the quicker the mark of the fallen champion comes and the quicker u lose a raid member.

Ranged tanking i can agree with but a melee tank on this boss is crazy. This fight is not difficult providing the casters are able to CC one beast and focus kill the other. I can slightly see the value of allowing a kiting class to get aggro then let a melee get involved, but this fight is all about the abilities of the casters TBH. Lady deathwhisper allows casters to sit where they are and only alternate from boss on a melee mob spawn so its an easy fight for them. This is the melee class's fun fight with no responsibilities other than to hit the boss hard and not Aoe when blood beasts arrive
Diapsalma
GM
Captain

Agree with BD. That tacs seems like suicide to me. Get the adds away from tanks/mellee asp or its an epic fail.

[Ace]
Officer
Captain

Well - they say that HP Restored from the beasts is minimal, most comes from him hitting a tank with blood boil debuff.

As for marks - if the beasts are killed quickly it shouldn't give him to much rage.. as you see from the posts people are doing it with 2 people getting marked and they say the fight is much simpler.

Obv, groups do things different ways.. this must have worked for some people and if it makes it easier with weaker dps then it has to be worth a try for us. Not that we had to many issues last time, im sure we would have got him 3rd try with normal tactics.

Quote:
Last week we tried kiting to minimize blood effects. This week we kept the adds in melee...which worked much better.

Quote:
The burn tactic worked last night. We facerolled through ICC with ZERO wipes and I set my raid up to burn down the adds while tanks picked them up

Quote:
As for the kiting-"strat"... I'm not sure I'd ever try it with kiting. Seems way too much hassle for a fight that is design-wise nothing but a rather dull DPS-check. Have the tanks pick up the adds - they conveniently spawn right next to them - and stun them as available. If your DDs are awake and on the job, you get the things down in about 4-6 GCDs.

Quote:
The melee strat involves keeping the adds that spawn on the tanks. This allows the melee dps on Saurfang to also help dps the adds. Using this method the adds go down very fast and the ranged do not need to move for the entire fight

Some people use kiting, some people use melee strategy. Both work it seems. Some people talk about an avoidance/block set the the adds have trouble even hitting the tank but this is not required.

Second Lieutenant

im gonna side with ace on this one^^

p.s ace 0 - 2

Edit by foz: member barred and removed permanently from face of earth. assasins dispatched to remove family members
Diapsalma
GM
Captain

The problem with this strategy is to keep the tanks and mellee alive as they take massive damage when adds are close to them.

SJP1872
Raider
Captain

Its interesting that this strat seems to be aplied with week DPS. Id have thought this is only worthwhile with Zerg DPS. Thats reflected by the Facerole comment listed above by ace.

Specifically with mega dps the adds are dead before they get more than one rage tick on SF, or supreme healers who keep the marked players up even when marked.

I will say on my last run in 25 man SF, a boomkin i think, kept using the blow back spell they have, and the beasts were continually blown back into melee range and dpsed by the casters will taking some aoe melee damage also. We one shot him.
SJP1872
Raider
Captain

I can certainly vouch for the usefulness of maintankadin and looking at the whole thread on the web, there is indeed a grround swell of people saying that melee can be used to kill the adds in particular the add who would normally be cced.

This is even more viable when considering that our raid team has 2 dps palas, therefore has 2 stuns in the form of hammer of justice. I still maintain that this strat needs either kick ass healers which we have or superb dps which were getting real clcose to.
[Ace]
Officer
Captain

Lol @ fozz's edit!

Lieutenant

It will cost me 100g each week and one of my glyphs. BUT! I can make a minor change to my spec each time we get to this boss, and that is Typhoon, which I would almost say that people are begging me for.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: